While many thieves are just opportunists, burglaries in Norfolk rose by 6% in 2017 with 79% of these crimes ending with no suspects being identified. Securing your home from potential thefts is especially important when you are going on holiday. Burglars may see your garage as a weak spot and a potential point of access to your home, but by following these steps you can minimise the chances of your garage and home being burgled while you are on holiday.
Top Steps for Preventing Thefts
Here are some of the ways you can prevent your garage and home from being broken into:
- Disable the garage door – Temporarily disabling the garage door while you are away is one of the easiest ways to prevent break ins. By disabling the opener, your door won’t respond to the remote control and won’t put your household at risk, even if the remote falls into the wrong hands.
- Secure doors and windows – Doors and windows are also a common entry points for burglars. If you have any windows in your garage, consider covering them and ensure they are locked. You should also make sure any interior doors are locked preventing access to the rest of your home.
- Hide valuables – If you have valuables stored in your garage, it’s a good idea to make sure they are not visible to passers-by. You might want to consider moving them for the duration of your holiday. Keeping valuables out of sight will reduce the chances of your home being burgled by an opportunist.
- Install alarms – Alarms are a great deterrent to burglars and while your home probably already has one, having another alarm installed in your garage is a good idea. Not only is it likely to scare away the burglars, it is also likely to attract attention from neighbours who can also prevent the burglary.
- Security lights – Motion sensor security lights are another good choice for preventing your home from getting burgled. Burglars prefer committing their crimes in the darkness and you can deter this by adding these extra lights to your garage.
Our Secure Garage and Entrance Doors
We have a range of highly secure garage and entrance doors from industry leading manufacturers Garador and Warm Protection. Our up & over range are among the most secure garage doors on the market, achieving the Secured by Design accreditation, which recognises the manufacturer taking security into consideration when producing the door. Find out more about the security features of our up & over range.
Interested in our products or want help with disabling your garage door? We can help, call us on 01603 787069 or email us on email@example.com.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest company news.